Sherlock Holmes Wins Weekend at Box Office
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, starring Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law, won the weekend box office with an estimated $40 million, despite an average debut.
In all, the weekend’s top 12 movies earned about 13 percent less than last year’s. Even Sherlock was expected to earn at least $50 million in its opening weekend.
Here’s the trailer for the film if you haven’t seen it:
This coming week brings The Adventures of Tintin, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, We Bought a Zoo, and the wide expansion of Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol.
In select locations, M:I – 4 was third this weekend behind Holmes and Alvin and the Chipmunks. Here’s a look at how the Top 10 shook out overall nationwide:
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, $40 million
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, $23.5 million
- Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, $13 million
- New Year’s Eve, $7.4 million
- The Sitter, $4.4 million
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1, $4.3 million
- Young Adult, $3.7 million
- Hugo, $3.63 million
- Arthur Christmas, $3.6 million
- The Muppets, $3.5 million